Map Locker

hl2mapper
1+ Posts
1+ Posts
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 1:08 am

Map Locker

Post by hl2mapper » Sat May 18, 2013 1:14 am

Hi Guys!

Would like to ask a question here.

I am making a HL2:DM RP map for my rp server, and i was wondering if there was a way to lock a map.

For example: If players download my map and then they want to put it on there own server it would crash it unless they have a plugin on the server.

Is there a certain script i have to make with sourcemod? And how do i make the map search for the script??

Thank You

User avatar
ant_8490
Site Admin
Posts: 4363
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:20 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Map Locker

Post by ant_8490 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:01 pm

There really isn't any 100% perfect way to lock a map. If someone is really determined, they can just decompile the map and search for whatever you added.

One common way that most people lock RP maps is to have a logic_auto trigger a game_end to run on OnMapStart. Then on the server, you would have to either, rename game_end in the server.dll (if windows) or make a plugin to remove/delete the game_end entity when the map loads, so when someone joins, the logic_auto will ask for the game_end to fire, but nothing will actually happen since the entity doesn't exist.
[GR]Ant_8490{A}
Area 51 Servers - Owner
Image
Image
Image
Image

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p
i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 2GB SLI
1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD
Windows 10

User avatar
Xseba360
Server Admin
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Map Locker

Post by Xseba360 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:03 pm

spawn logic_auto, give it a name and make it so it removes "worldspawn" onmapspawn then remove the logic_auto using stripper:source plugin

@ant's method
you probably would have to rename it each time you update server or do something cron jobs related

User avatar
ant_8490
Site Admin
Posts: 4363
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:20 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Map Locker

Post by ant_8490 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:10 pm

Xseba360 wrote:spawn logic_auto, give it a name and make it so it removes "worldspawn" onmapspawn then remove the logic_auto using stripper:source plugin
that works also, but like most methods, anyone can do the same and decompile (or even open in Notepad++) to get the entity name.
[GR]Ant_8490{A}
Area 51 Servers - Owner
Image
Image
Image
Image

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p
i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 2GB SLI
1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD
Windows 10

Peter Brev

Re: Map Locker

Post by Peter Brev » Sat May 18, 2013 12:16 pm

I found a way to complete lock it like Valve HL2 maps, but I don't want to share it.
Using the general lock Tools, info_target, Tools/lock texture or anything like this will still be decompiled by bsp source.

User avatar
Xseba360
Server Admin
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Map Locker

Post by Xseba360 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Peter Brev wrote:I found a way to complete lock it like Valve HL2 maps, but I don't want to share it.
Using the general lock Tools, info_target, Tools/lock texture or anything like this will still be decompiled by bsp source.
are valve hl2 maps even locked?!

Peter Brev

Re: Map Locker

Post by Peter Brev » Sat May 18, 2013 1:13 pm

Xseba360 wrote:
Peter Brev wrote:I found a way to complete lock it like Valve HL2 maps, but I don't want to share it.
Using the general lock Tools, info_target, Tools/lock texture or anything like this will still be decompiled by bsp source.
are valve hl2 maps even locked?!
Yes, if you open them from gcf, some are not usuable.

User avatar
Xseba360
Server Admin
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Map Locker

Post by Xseba360 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Peter Brev wrote:
Xseba360 wrote:
Peter Brev wrote:I found a way to complete lock it like Valve HL2 maps, but I don't want to share it.
Using the general lock Tools, info_target, Tools/lock texture or anything like this will still be decompiled by bsp source.
are valve hl2 maps even locked?!
Yes, if you open them from gcf, some are not usuable.
because some arent even stored in that GCF but are visible as entries.

Anonymous

Re: Map Locker

Post by Anonymous » Sat May 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Peter Brev wrote:I found a way to [...] but I don't want to share it.
I FOUND A WAY TO HACK ALL SERVERS AND CURE CANCER BUT I DON'T WANT TO SHARE IT. I JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT HOW AWESOME I AM AND MAKE THEM CARE ABOUT ME

Peter Brev

Re: Map Locker

Post by Peter Brev » Sat May 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Stefan wrote:
Peter Brev wrote:I found a way to [...] but I don't want to share it.
I FOUND A WAY TO HACK ALL SERVERS AND CURE CANCER BUT I DON'T WANT TO SHARE IT. I JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT HOW AWESOME I AM AND MAKE THEM CARE ABOUT ME
That's funny how you think I'm reading.

User avatar
commander fury
Former Server Admin
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: France

Re: Map Locker

Post by commander fury » Sat May 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Peter Brev wrote:
Stefan wrote:
Peter Brev wrote:I found a way to [...] but I don't want to share it.
I FOUND A WAY TO HACK ALL SERVERS AND CURE CANCER BUT I DON'T WANT TO SHARE IT. I JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT HOW AWESOME I AM AND MAKE THEM CARE ABOUT ME
That's funny how you think I'm reading.
How I see that
Spoiler
Show
Image
Clues : Ginger dog = Stefan.Black dog = Peter.

Peter Brev

Re: Map Locker

Post by Peter Brev » Sat May 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Peter Brev wrote: That's funny how you think I'm reading.

User avatar
myback
Server Admin
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:42 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Map Locker

Post by myback » Sat May 18, 2013 4:08 pm

commander fury wrote:
Peter Brev wrote:
Stefan wrote: I FOUND A WAY TO HACK ALL SERVERS AND CURE CANCER BUT I DON'T WANT TO SHARE IT. I JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT HOW AWESOME I AM AND MAKE THEM CARE ABOUT ME
That's funny how you think I'm reading.
How I see that
Spoiler
Show
Image
Clues : Ginger dog = Stefan.Black dog = Peter.
LOL

Ginger Dog?
Image
Peter B.: half counter fortress team portal life 2

User avatar
Xseba360
Server Admin
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Map Locker

Post by Xseba360 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:09 pm

myback wrote: Ginger Dog?
how bout 'Orange Dog'?
also get on steam

hl2mapper
1+ Posts
1+ Posts
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 1:08 am

Re: Map Locker

Post by hl2mapper » Sat May 18, 2013 4:32 pm

...
Last edited by hl2mapper on Sun May 19, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Locked