Welcome to my "Mega-Thread" for ideas!

StaTix
250+ Posts
250+ Posts

Welcome to my "Mega-Thread" for ideas!

Post by StaTix » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:24 pm

Hi, been awhile, so most of you know my by Exorcist (Only introducing myself because i have had several name changes), I was chosen as Admin during its more active years, aka with simplicity, ThornedCactoMan, BoomBox, Eternal (God Bless them all) so I feel inclined to make this post, and try not to let inactivity keeps A51 down! LETS GETS TO IT SHALL WE!

Ideas:
-Remove Inactive servers
Spoiler
Show
-HL2DM Match Server
-Cheat and Build (God Bless this server, its how i started in GR)
-Deathrun (God Bless as well, First real community i joined)
-ETC(Keep Active ones, and Active Only)
-Keep The Dream Alive
Spoiler
Show
-Remember when A51 was top of the top on hl2dm like #1 everyday for a week straight? Lets have the happen again!
-Contact old member/admins and have them Reunite!
-Give everyone a fair chance, such as make everyone for the new servers reapply
-New Servers
-CSGO
Spoiler
Show
-Mini Games
-100% dedicated deathrun
-HS only (i know we have one already)
-Multi-Arena (Very fun as a casual or competitive player)
-Surf (Fun for everyone really)
-TF2
Spoiler
Show
-Competitive practice Server for any rank
-CTF, Control Point, etc (any stock server for those stock players)
-Trade server (Just an idea)
-Fun Server (JB, mg, 10x, etc)
-Ending statement
Spoiler
Show
i loved a51 with a passion, and it sucks seeing what was once a really active, fun, and enjoyable server, just vanish, i know csgo primarily focus's on competitive, and tf2 is phasing into that, but the community scenes in those games will never die, please take this into consideration ant and nick, i loved a51 and im sure hundreds of others could agree no one could run a server like you guys!

too the community
we need to be active, we could, make area51 a good place to be again! if i have too i will personally find all you sons o bitches and have everyone play a51 again, so please guys do it for Ant8490 and Nick! (Sorry Nick, forgot the numbers after your name)
&&[GR]Broskii{A}:L: is it lego's boobs?

Demon
Server Admin

Re: Welcome to my "Mega-Thread" for ideas!

Post by Demon » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:11 pm

#MakeArea51GreatAgain

Stuntman0007
750+ Posts
750+ Posts

Post by Stuntman0007 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:13 pm

Demon wrote:#MakeArea51GreatAgain
Oh god, internet trump

This was also the first community I was a part of, but as it's members age and change, so does the group. I'll agree that keeping the hl2:dm deathrun server open when it isn't beneficial to do so (assuming that, so feel free to call me out) is just kinda being in denial. I like seeing it for nostalgia but that's no real reason to keep it up.

3-4 years ago I'd be all-aboard but since I plan to go to university in the fall, and I'm playing much more Rocket League than anything, there's nothing I'd really be able to commit to. Should you find people and the ability to kickstart this place, then go for it. As for the actual plan, "-keep the dream alive" seems like a idealistic "remember the good ol' days" thing that might turn new people away if anything. Contacting old members is fine but be open for an entirely new/different community.

TL;DR
Don't sit in a nostalgia pool and [sarcasm]I'm too busy and shit to bother.[/sarcasm]
Mew I'm a bunny!

StaTix
250+ Posts
250+ Posts

Post by StaTix » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:06 pm

Stuntman0007 wrote:
Demon wrote:#MakeArea51GreatAgain
Oh god, internet trump

This was also the first community I was a part of, but as it's members age and change, so does the group. I'll agree that keeping the hl2:dm deathrun server open when it isn't beneficial to do so (assuming that, so feel free to call me out) is just kinda being in denial. I like seeing it for nostalgia but that's no real reason to keep it up.

3-4 years ago I'd be all-aboard but since I plan to go to university in the fall, and I'm playing much more Rocket League than anything, there's nothing I'd really be able to commit to. Should you find people and the ability to kickstart this place, then go for it. As for the actual plan, "-keep the dream alive" seems like a idealistic "remember the good ol' days" thing that might turn new people away if anything. Contacting old members is fine but be open for an entirely new/different community.

TL;DR
Don't sit in a nostalgia pool and [sarcasm]I'm too busy and shit to bother.[/sarcasm]
yea true, but what i ment by good ol' days is top server in games not just the memories
&&[GR]Broskii{A}:L: is it lego's boobs?

nick_6893
Site Admin

Post by nick_6893 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:31 pm

Thank you for the ideas. We'll see what we can do.

ant_8490
Site Admin

Post by ant_8490 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:09 pm

-Remove Inactive servers
Spoiler
Show
-HL2DM Match Server
-Cheat and Build (God Bless this server, its how i started in GR)
-Deathrun (God Bless as well, First real community i joined)
-ETC(Keep Active ones, and Active Only)
Well...HL2DM servers really dont take up any space or resources, so I will just run them until Gaben kills the master server for it :)
It's good to keep it on for some events like a Deathrun "reunion".
-New Servers
-CSGO
Spoiler
Show
-Mini Games
-100% dedicated deathrun
Yes, we do already have a HS only server: Image
And a Multi-Arena server on CS:GO: Image
I'm not sure how DR would be on there...
-New Servers
-TF2
Spoiler
Show
-Competitive practice Server for any rank
-CTF, Control Point, etc (any stock server for those stock players)
-Trade server (Just an idea)
-Fun Server (JB, mg, 10x, etc)
I just started up a 24/7 2Fort server with HLstatsX: Image
We already have a trade server. Image
What do you mean by "competitive practice server"?

Overall I do think we offer a lot of different servers, we just need to populate them with old members and new players. The important thing is to run servers that YOU guys like to play on, so I can maybe assign admins to the servers and you guys can help bring more players on to them.
[GR]Ant_8490{A}
Area 51 Servers - Owner

MSI GE76 Raider
i9-11980HK 2.6GHz 8-Core Processor
32GB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU 16GB
2TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD
Windows 10

Demon
Server Admin

Post by Demon » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:41 pm

Make the group public.

ant_8490
Site Admin

Post by ant_8490 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:27 pm

Demon wrote:Make the group public.
Just curious, how do you think that will help? If anything, wouldn't it be better to maybe add some group officers/moderators to invite more players? I understand that it is not efficient for just me and Nick to be the only people to be able to add players if we are trying to expand the group, but random people joining, who don't even play on our servers, doesn't help much either.
[GR]Ant_8490{A}
Area 51 Servers - Owner

MSI GE76 Raider
32GB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM
2TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD
Windows 10

Demon
Server Admin

Post by Demon » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:37 pm

Making the group public will benefit in ways such as making it available for anyone to join.

Benefits:
- No wait time
- No need to talk to someone who could be offline, therefore having to wait for them to go online before being added.
- Anyone can join, more people = bigger group = more people are likely to join.

Disadvantages: (The one's I could think of)
- Trolls, bots - Counter: Changing permissions or something to make sure that normal people cannot do something to harm the group, i.e spamming discussions.

Also it's not like the people who are currently in the group are joining, more people = higher chance of people to join an event such as a reunion.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:18 pm

I do believe that a deathrun server could flourish on CS:GO, but maybe not as well as the HL2DM server did. They already have some deathrun servers, I believe if we were to make a deathrun for CS:GO, we would need new maps that other servers do not already have.

ant_8490
Site Admin

Post by ant_8490 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:16 pm

I made the group public. Everyone in the group should be able to send out invites now also.
[GR]Ant_8490{A}
Area 51 Servers - Owner

MSI GE76 Raider
32GB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM
2TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD
Windows 10

Demon
Server Admin

Post by Demon » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:57 pm

Let me begin with saying that CS:GO is not the game for making custom game modes like deathrun. This is a very bad idea due to the custom file limit being so low (1024) where-as GMOD has tuned it up to 4096 to allow more custom stuff to be available on servers. CS:GO is a competitive game, the most custom game-mode you can go for with a good audience is surf/bhop but nothing too complex such as deathrun, especially if you want a lot of models/custom shet for donators.

Peter Brev

Post by Peter Brev » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:21 am

I do not see why A51 could not have its place in CS:GO because it is an original community and we strive to keep it alive.

If Area 51 Deathrun were to happen, I am absolutely up to joining and playing and applying again for admin.

Ant, would you make a dr server for GO and if it happens, are you able to port everything from HL2DM to GO?

ant_8490
Site Admin

Post by ant_8490 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:23 pm

Peter Brev wrote:I do not see why A51 could not have its place in CS:GO because it is an original community and we strive to keep it alive.

If Area 51 Deathrun were to happen, I am absolutely up to joining and playing and applying again for admin.

Ant, would you make a dr server for GO and if it happens, are you able to port everything from HL2DM to GO?
I started working on some "stuff" tonight. At first, i'm gonna keep it real basic for testing purposes and to see if CS:GO DR has players willing to join. I dont want to invest a ton of hours into something that may not be fun on CS:GO.
[GR]Ant_8490{A}
Area 51 Servers - Owner

MSI GE76 Raider
32GB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM
2TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD
Windows 10

myback
Server Admin

Post by myback » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:49 pm

Stuntman0007 wrote: This was also the first community I was a part of[/sarcasm]
Me too!!

ant_8490 wrote:
-Remove Inactive servers
-New Servers
-CSGO
Spoiler
Show
-Mini Games
-100% dedicated deathrun

Yes, we do already have a HS only server: Image
And a Multi-Arena server on CS:GO: Image

I'm not sure how DR would be on there...
I can actually accurately imagine an Area 51 Deathrun server on CS:GO, looking exactly like the one on HL2:DM except with knives instead of crowbars. At first when Travis suggested it a while back I thought to myself: "no don't do it because bla bla bla" but I think it can really work.

Bunnyhop assistance and/or increasing speed of players (which would also requires to lower their gravity in relation to how much speed they gained to keep normal jump height) would be required to get the same rushing aspect from HL2DM.

DiehardLego wrote:I do believe that a deathrun server could flourish on CS:GO
Yes it would, if created and managed properly with care.
DiehardLego wrote: I believe if we were to make a deathrun for CS:GO, we would need new maps that other servers do not already have.
That's the hard part. From what I've heard, don't quote me on this, but new compiler for CS:GO maps obnoxiously decreases FPS for the resulting map. I don't know if there are settings to disable the new lighting/shadows/whatever, since I haven't actually messed around with it in a while.
Peter B.: half counter fortress team portal life 2